Meeting Minutes – September 11, 2017

SAA Student Chapter, St. Catherine University

Meeting was called to order at 6:10pm by chapter co-chair Zach Jansen.

Secretary, Treasurer, and SGO Liaison reports

Secretary: New business highlights from the August 14 meeting include determining SAA representation at fall orientation on August 26; planning for the Archives 101 panel; brainstorming ideas for possible archives tours this semester; planning for the December “brown bag” new professionals panel; and establishing a timeline for officer elections at the end of the semester for the co-chair and secretary positions.

Treasurer: Account balance is still $264.95, minus reimbursements for appetizers from the Historically Accurate Costume Party last semester, which will be submitted to GSAB this month, for $61.95. The new total will be $203.00. We are awaiting fall allocation from GSAB and any more reimbursement requests from the end of last semester. Reminder to submit all receipts ASAP.

Allocation is based on enrollment, and as our enrollment is up this semester, we may see a slight bump in monies above the traditional $135 per semester. This question will be posed at the GSAB meeting next week.

SGO Liaison: SGO had meetings over the summer to plan for fall orientation as well as re-accreditation and fall semester events. Their first meeting of the semester will be September 12 at 5pm in CdC 17. (There is a call in option available if you cannot attend in person.) They currently have open committee positions this semester and are looking for volunteers to serve.

The ePortfolio seminar this semester will be on Monday, September 18, and will include Heidi Hammond, Tony Molaro, and Joyce Yukawa. SGO is also commencing plans for the spring bowling party, as well as looking for students interested in serving as mentors for the St. Kate’s MLIS mentoring program. They are also looking for students who are interested in networking opportunities with LIS folks in the Twin Cities and beyond.

Media Relations: Trish has revamped the St. Kate’s SAA WordPress site. There are a few additional changes to do, but otherwise it is much cleaner and easier to navigate.

Old Business

WARM Journal digitization project update

Heather has begun digitizing journals, and once more of them are complete she will be looking for volunteers to read and write abstracts for each journal and create a name index. Once 4-5 journals are complete they will be uploaded to the SOPHIA site.

MCBA community project update

Current project leaders recently had a meeting with the interim director, Amanda Kaler, the current director of development. At present, this project is not a priority for MCBA, however, and with the recent departure of several project staff members, there is a question of whether to continue training new volunteers, or to hold off until a new director of the project is hired. MCBA might be able to provide limited support for the stamp collection in the interim, and permanent project staff may not come on board until January.

Zach made the motion to table discussion and put a hold on further volunteer activity with MCBA until there has been more development on permanent project staff, with a plan to revisit progress at subsequent meetings. The vote passed by acclamation. Heather will continue to be project point person and communicate updates in the meantime.

2017 SAA Annual Meeting Recap

Deb Torres provided a recap of the SAA National meeting in Portland, OR from July 23-29, 2017. There were approximately 1900 archivists in attendance, which was about 400 more than projected. SAA distributed a sheet advising attendees on how to interact with bystanders on public transportation after recent events.

One of the big topics was the subject of the 2019 meeting in Austin, TX in light of the Texas legislature’s then-proposed bathroom bill targeting transgender individuals, and whether to move the meeting to another city, which could result in significant financial penalties and added costs. However, Texas did not pass the bill, so the meeting will be held as scheduled next year in Austin.

Some of the archivists who responded to the shooting at the Pulse night club in Orlando, FL attended the SAA GLBT Round Table section meeting, and proposed the formation of a rapid response archival team to travel to locations in the aftermath of similar attacks and events to document and preserve artifacts. There were also conversations about how to work with community members and activists to tell stories of their communities.

Deb also attended a breakout session about archiving and preserving sex history that included archivist Susie Bright, who talked about establishing an archive for On Our Backs, the first women-run erotica magazine, which included lesbian-created content.

The annual meeting in 2018 will be held in Washington, D.C., from August 12-18, 2017. It will be a joint meeting of the Council of State Archivists (CoSA), National Association of Government Archives and Records Administrators (NAGARA), and SAA.

Fall Orientation Recap

Fall orientation was held on Saturday, August 26. Rather than have each group present and overload new students with information, a “speed dating” type of session for each student group was attempted instead in which students had the chance to interact three times with a different group for about five minutes. Students who attended orientation felt that the sessions went well, but that the space was not conducive for that activity.

New Business

Fall 2017 events

October: The Archives 101 Panel will be held in Whitby Hall, Room 121 on Monday, October 9, at 6pm. Panelists who are confirmed are Shelby Edwards (MN Historical Society), Jessica Faucher (General Mills), Erik Moore (Univ. of Minnesota), and Jill Vuchetich (Walker Art Center). Molly has volunteered to moderate, and Zach is going to send out a form for students to submit questions.

November: The TCART Symposium will be held on Monday, November 6th at Hennepin County Central Library. The theme of the meeting this year is “back to the basics.” Students are encouraged to carpool or take light rail to downtown Minneapolis.

  • We will review interest in pursuing a tour of Walker library and archives at the next meeting.

December: The New Professionals Brown Bag Session (name tentative for now) will be held on Saturday, December 2, between classes. St. Kate’s MLIS alums Jessica Faucher, Stewart Van Cleve, Kate McManus, and Allison Spies are all interested and available, so we should figure out what the theme is and extend formal invitations.

  • End-of-semester movie screening is tentatively scheduled for Monday, December 18 after classes have ended. Zach will send out a poll towards the end of the year for suggestions, but Desk Set or Storm Center are solid possibilities again.

Special Elections: There will be openings at the end of the year for Secretary and Co-Chair/Vice President as Zach and David will be graduating. The plan is to announce the openings by the end of month, with a call for nominations in October, and then voting in November, with new officers on board in December to make transitions.

Open forum

Heather highlighted that the Folklore Society is hosting Adventures in Archiving at the Minneapolis Central Library on October 16-17. Registration may still be open. Cost is $50 for one day, and $75 for both days, and this would be eligible for SGO reimbursement.

Molly highlighted an event on October 5th at the Coffman Memorial Union on the University of Minnesota campus (West Bank): Performing the Archive: “At Buffalo,” The Creation of a New Musical.

Announcements

MLA 2017 Annual Conference – October 5-6, in Rochester
Draft of ePortfolio due for graduating students – October 15
Ex Libris: New York Public Library documentary – October 13-15, at Walker Art Center
TCART Symposium – November 6, at Minneapolis Central Library
ALA External Review Panel – November 6-8 (more details to come)
Fall Commencement – Thursday, December 21

Meeting adjourned at 7:08 p.m.

Next meeting is scheduled for Monday, October 9 at 6pm in the CdC, with the “Preserve Your Sanity” happy hour to follow.

Members Present

Heather Carroll, chapter co-chair
Zach Jansen, chapter co-chair
David Norris, secretary
Deb Eschweiler, treasurer/SGO liaison
Trish Vaillancourt, media relations officer
Ann Arntson
Victoria Johnson
Sarah Potvin
Jennifer Riestenberg
Deb Torres
Molly Hazelton, faculty advisor

Advertisements