SAA Student Chapter, St. Catherine University
Meeting called to order at 6:09 PM at Black: Coffee and Waffle Bar in Saint Paul, MN, by chapter co-chairs Heather Carroll and Zach Jansen.
Secretary, Treasurer, and SGO Liaison reports
Secretary: Highlights from the May 8th SAA meeting (minutes here) included updates on upcoming events (Historically Accurate Costume Party and the summer student orientation), planning for events over the 2017-2018 academic year, the meeting schedule for the summer, and ideas for tours and other events over the coming year.
Treasurer: The current account balance is still $264.95. Deb will be submitting a receipt in the fall for $60 for the Historically Accurate Costume Party appetizers, leaving us with $200 going into the academic year.
SGO Liaison: The last SGO meeting was held on June 13 (minutes here). Highlights include:
- A lengthy discussion on the source for Gene Yang honorarium funds, for which SGO is going to contribute $100;
- SGO taking on the LIS community mixer in February 2018, as well as the ePortfolio workshop in September 2017;
- The design for the St. Kate’s MLIS business cards have been finalized, and will be printed through the university;
- SGO will need all new community liaisons for next year, so anyone interested in taking on that role should talk to anyone on the SGO board, or any student group leader;
- SGO leadership would like to develop a cohesive student group presentation to deliver at orientations. There’s a sense that past presentations have varied in length and cohesiveness and that it would be good to have consistency;
- Finalizing of fall meeting times for student groups:
- ALA: 3rd Wednesday of the month
- PLG: 2nd and 4th Thursdays of the month
- SAA: 2nd Monday of every month at 6pm in CDC
- SGO: 2nd Tuesday of every month from 5:00-5:45pm
- SLA: 2nd Thursday of the month
WARM Journal digitization project – Heather Carroll
The host site for the digitized journals has been built and is ready for content. Heather is going to start the digitization of the journals within the next month. There will also be a project contributor page for all those who worked on digitization in any capacity.
Historically Accurate Costume Party – Deb Eschweiler
The event this year with trivia at Groveland Tap was a hit. The SAA group came in second in trivia. 11 attended altogether, including Deb Torres.
Summer Semester New Student Orientation – Heather Carroll / Zach Jansen
Eight new students attended orientation on June 1, one of whom seemed interested in archives.
2017 Rare Books and Manuscripts Section (RBMS) Conference – Heather Carroll
Sara Butterfass and Heather attended RBMS in June, presenting on the WARM Journal digitization project, and received overwhelmingly positive feedback on the project and their presentation.
SLA/SAA Social Hour
This event is being jointly hosted by SLA and SAA on Monday, July 10th from 5-7pm, at Bonfire Wood Fire Cooking on Grand Avenue in Saint Paul.
MCBA Community Project – Heather Carroll
A few weeks ago, five new project interns attended the training session who have been approved by Jennie Shaw to start working on their own. Heather would like to hand off leadership for the project to another individual, staying on in a mentorship role.
St. Kate’s SAA Summer meeting schedule
Meetings over the summer will be held on the 1st Monday of the month. Heather made the suggestion to combine the August meeting with SGO and make it a leadership-only event, date and time TBD.
SAA Summer Goals
- Trish is working on a post about Heather and Sara’s presentation at the RBMS conference in June, and Zach is going to write a short post about attending the Film Librarian’s Conference.
- Fall 2017 events:
- September: Red Wing Pottery Museum – September
- October: St. Benedict’s in Collegeville – October
- Panels: Archives 101 in October
- TCART is looking for a place to host the fall symposium in November, and the suggestion has been made to host it at St. Kate’s. If that goes through, students would be invited to participate on the planning committee;
- Zach suggested doing another movie event in December. He is going to put together a list of potential films.
- Open forum:
- Trish raised two items for potential discussion:
- All SAA officers are currently listed as admins on the Facebook page. No one objected to this;
- Bookmarks need to be updated, so Trish is going to work on those.
- Trish raised two items for potential discussion:
- Gene Yang event on Wednesday, July 12, at 6:30pm
- 2017 SAA Annual Meeting
- Registration open until July 13
- Held in Portland, OR, July 23 – 29
- Fall 2017 begins Wednesday, September 6
- First 2017-18 SAA meeting scheduled for Monday, September 11
- A tour of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet archives will be held from 5:00-5:30, following by a meeting from 5:30-6:00pm, with social hour directly afterwards.
- ALA External Review Panel on November 6 – 8
Meeting adjourned at 7:16pm by Zach Jansen.
Next meeting is tentatively scheduled for August 14th, time and location TBD.
Heather Carroll, chapter co-chair
Zach Jansen, chapter co-chair
David Norris, secretary
Deb Eschweiler, treasurer/SGO laison
Trish Vaillancourt, media relations officer
Molly Hazelton, faculty liaison