SAA Student Chapter, St. Catherine University
Meeting called to order at 6:06 PM by chapter co-chairs Heather Carroll and Zach Jansen.
Secretary, Treasurer, and SGO Liaison reports
Secretary – David Norris: Updates from the April 3 meeting (minutes here) included a discussion of officer elections, along with updates on WARM digitization, the Minnesota Center for Book Arts (MCBA) Community Project, and planning for the Historically Accurate Costume Party.
Treasury – Deb Eschweiler: The spring disbursement came through, and the current account balance is $264.95. We anticipate spending approximately $115 on the upcoming Historically Accurate Costume Party, and going into next year with $150.
SGO Liaison: Kristell Benson was unable to attend, so the incoming SGO Liaison (Deb Eschweiler) read a summary of the SGO report: SGO held their last meeting on April 3 (minutes here). Elections took place for next year: Heather Carroll and Deb Eschweiler will be co-chairs; Trish Vaillancourt will be the treasurer; Janis Shearer will be the communications officer. They do need someone to hand out cards at the graduate reception on May 15 from 6-8pm.
Zach is designing business cards and will have designs soon.
WARM Journal digitization project updates – Heather Carroll
Sara and Heather presented on the program at the MLIS Summit, and will be presenting again in June at the RBMS Conference.
MCBA Community Project Updates – Heather Carroll
Several SAA students are in the inventorying phase of processing a large collection of mail art. Anyone interested in participating should contact Heather. The only requirement is a one-hour training by Jennie Shaw, the project supervisor.
ePortfolio Panel Review – David Norris
22 students attended, and the response has been overwhelmingly positive. Tony Molaro, Kyunghye Yoon, and Joyce Yukawa presented on the new requirements, followed by an excellent discussion in which students brought excellent questions and comments. A desire has been expressed for more of that information to be included in LIS 7010.
Film Librarians Conference Review – Zach Jansen
Zach attended the Film Librarians Conference two weeks ago in Los Angeles. The focus of the conference was on film preservation. He strongly recommended that everyone attend a conference that aligns with their career and professional interests.
Midwest Archives Conference Review
Jason Kanuit was going to deliver this review but was unable to attend, so Heather made a motion was made to table this discussion until the next time Jason was able to be at a meeting. There were 7 ayes and 1 nay: the motion passed.
Historically Accurate Costume Party Updates – Deb Eschweiler
On Tuesday, May 23rd, 2017, the end-of-year Historically Accurate Costume Party will be held at Groveland Tap starting at 8pm, followed by pub quiz at 9pm. The definition of “historically accurate” is very broad in terms of time, place, reality, and fandom, so elaborateness is not required.
New student orientation on Thursday, June 1 at 7pm in CdC 20
Heather Carroll, Deb Eschweiller, Zach Jansen, and Trish Vaillancourt will be attending summer student orientation. Heather made a note that we need to do an inventory of SAA marketing supplies. Heather and Trish volunteered to visit the summer section of LIS 7010.
2017-18 Student Group Events
SAA has been planning and executing many events, such as the resume and job seeking workshop, that ought to be organized by SGO. Ideally, the goal would be to organize events such as the bowling event and the resume and job-seeking panel jointly with other student groups in order to keep the events broad and boost attendance.
St. Kate’s SAA Summer meeting schedule
The suggestion was made to meet on the second Monday of every month in July and August, taking the month of June off. The July meeting will be held at Black Coffee and Waffle Bar in St. Paul. Heather is going to send out a survey to determine if a better day of the week might work better.
Open Forum on SAA Summer Goals and Events for Next Year
- Trish would like to do more work on the WordPress site over the summer.
- Putting together a calendar of events:
- The Archives 101 panel in October.
- Touring the new wing at the Minnesota History Center in the Spring.
- Tour possibilities:
- Molly has mentioned that the Red Wing Pottery Museum would love to give tours of their archives.
- Heather has a list of tour possibilities, including the Minnesota Twins archive, the Archdiocese, and returning to the General Mills archives.
- Touring the St. Kate’s archives and special collections again in September, as a recurring annual event.
- A suggestion was made to visit the St. Kate’s archives and special collections in November instead of September.
Attendance has been low overall at student meetings, which is partly due to busyness. Sarah suggested including a listing of events at the end of mass emails sent out by the LIS department, linking to the official department calendar. SAA leadership will meet over the summer to develop a survey to send out to SAA membership about member needs and meeting times.
- Spring Commencement on scheduled for Saturday, May 20, 2017. Congratulations to our MLIS graduates!
- Dr. Tony Molaro has been named new MLIS Program Director starting Fall 2017
- The first day of the Summer 2017 semester is Monday, June 5
- 2017 Rare Books and Manuscripts Section (RBMS) Conference:
- Registration open until May 20
- Held in Iowa City, IA, June 20 – 23
- 2017 SAA Annual Meeting:
- Registration open until July 13
- Held in Portland, OR, July 23 – 29
- Fall 2017 begins Wednesday, September 6
- First 2017-18 SAA meeting tentatively scheduled for Monday, September 11
- ALA External Review Panel is scheduled on November 6 – 8
Meeting was adjourned at 7:22 PM, followed by Preserve Your Sanity Social Hour at Tiffany’s Sports Lounge.
Heather Carroll, chapter co-chair
Zach Jansen, chapter co-chair
David Norris, secretary
Deb Eschweiler, treasurer/SGO laison
Trish Vaillancourt, media relations officer