SAA Student Chapter, St. Catherine University
Meeting called to order at 6:15 PM by Chapter president Sara Butterfass. The meeting was held online due to winter weather conditions.
Secretary and Treasurer’s report
- David Norris read a summary of the December 12th meeting minutes.
- Deb Eschweiller reported that the current funds balance is still at $262.26.
Kristell Benson was not present to provide any updates from SGO, although the first meeting of the year is not scheduled until February 9.
Recap: “Reel Down” Movie Night—December 12th
The film shown was Desk Set (1957) with Katharine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy. Only nine students were able to attended, likely due to weather and end-of-semester commitments. However, still Zach felt the event went very well, with everyone having a good time. He did forget to give out door prizes, so those are still available for a future event. He would like to schedule another mid-semester movie event, perhaps in April.
Recap: Minnesota Historical Society Tour—December 22nd
The turnout for this event was excellent, with 20 students attending. Lori Williamson was an excellent and knowledgeable tour guide and host. Students toured the archives and the library collection, including the maps and rare books collection.
Recap: 2016 SAA Annual Report
Sara Butterfass, David Norris, and Deb Eschweiller met at the end of December to finish assembling the annual report to sent to SAA. This report is due each year from every student chapter by December 31st at midnight. A copy of the report will be available under the About menu, or under Annual Reports.
“Roll Into Spring” Bowling Mixer
- This event seeks to bring together members of St. Kate’s many active MLIS student groups, their local professional counterparts, and MLIS faculty and staff to facilitate stronger relationships between our organizations and the local LIS community.
- It will take place 6-9 PM on Monday, January 30, 2017 at the University of St Thomas Anderson Student Center Bowling Alley, 2115 Summit Ave, Saint Paul, MN 55105.
- There will be a cash bar.
- The eVite has been sent out to all local professional LIS organizations as well as St. Kate’s student organizations. Leaders of professional sponsoring groups have all been given email template/script options, Zach’s flyer as a pdf and jpeg, a jpeg of the Evite header. Additionally, Sara is going to reach out on the Metronet and Minitex listservs to inform their members about the event.
- There is a parking ramp one block away on Cretin & Grand Ave for $1.50/hr. Some street parking is available but scarce. Molly suggested carpooling in order to save on parking, and Deb Eschweiller suggested adding a map to the eVite page to make parking easier to find. Zach volunteered to coordinate carpooling.
- Funding has been secured from five outside sponsors: ARLIS/NA-TC, TCART, MLA, and the SLA Minnesota Chapter, as well as the Friends of the St. Catherine University Libraries, along with commitments from all four MLIS student groups (ALA, PLG, SLA, and SGO). Heather has also put together cost sheets for the event.
- February: Nothing is currently scheduled for February.
- March: The LIS resume/cover letter workshop and job seekers’ panel.
- April: MLIS summit (April 24th).
- Sara made a general call for tour and event suggestions. Zach suggested the Andersen Library special collections and archives. Sara has reached out to the Minnesota Twins archives about setting up a tour but hasn’t heard back from them yet. The East Side Freedom Library was also suggested. Sara and Heather are going to send out an email at the end of the month about possible events in February and April.
- Deb made a general reminder about checking with other student groups about events they have scheduled in order to avoid double booking.
Orientation for Spring 2017 is scheduled for January 21st, with the MLIS portion scheduled to begin at 11am in Room 20. There are 14 new incoming students, but there may only be 10 attendees. Many faculty and staff are unable to attend, including many Chapter officers.
We should start identifying graduating members along with any students who might be interested in stepping into Chapter leadership roles. Sara will be graduating in December, so the position of president will be open in May.
Metronet is holding its Upcoming Wind Down on February 1 from 5-7 PM at the Quatrefoil Library. A Quatrefoil representative will speak about its history, its mission and show some gems of the collection. This event will also be a networking opportunity.
Meeting adjourned at 6:47pm.
Next meeting is scheduled for February 13th at 6pm.
Sara Butterfass, chapter president
David Norris, secretary
Deb Eschweiller, treasurer
Zach Jansen, media relations officer
Molly Hazelton, faculty advisor