SAA Student Chapter, St. Catherine University
Meeting called to order at 6:05 PM by SAA chapter president Sara Butterfass.
- David Norris read the minutes from the September 12th meeting, and Deb Eschweiler gave a treasury update, which included information on fall disbursement funds.
- Kristell Benson provided an update on the SGO meeting on November 10th (minutes). Highlights included an update to the ePortfolio process, and the excited response from SGO members to the bowling event in January.
- #AskAnArchivist Day (October 5): The date was moved in order to not conflict with the Jewish festival of Rosh Hashanah. We need to brainstorm ideas for how the SAA chapter could better engage with the broader archival community through this annual event to raise awareness about archives.
- Archives 101 Panel (October 10): This event was held in lieu of meeting in October. It was hosted by Molly Hazelton, and featured Allison Spies, Shelby Edwards, Ted Hathaway, and Heather Stecklein.
- American Theater Archive Project Workshop (November 3): Zach Jensen attended the event at Anderson Library on the University of Minnesota West Bank campus. He collected contact information for several small local theatre groups and is going to follow up with several for possible community outreach projects or tours.
- Twin Cities Archives Round Table (TCART) Symposium (November 14): Held at the Elmer L. Andersen Library at the University of Minnesota from 11am-4:45pm. The theme of the symposium was “archives in conversation.” Five chapter members attended. One session focused on the job searching experiences of young archival professionals, and featured several St. Kate’s graduates, including Kate McManus, Jennifer Shaw, Stewart Van Cleve, and Jessica Faucher.
WARM Journal Update
No meeting this week because of the town hall meeting. Heather Carroll said if we can get enough students at the next session, work on Phase I (gathering contributor information) could be completed and Phase II (gathering contributor contact information) could begin.
- David Lesniaski would like Heather and any other students who have been involved to present briefly on the cataloging process for this project in 7030 next semester.
- Heather is going to put together a poster presentation to present at the Rare Books and Manuscripts Section (RBMS) conference in 2017. Other students are welcome to collaborate.
Upcoming SAA Events
November MNHS Tour
Lori Williamson had to cancel the November 22 tour due to a conflict, but the tour has been rescheduled for Tuesday, December 20 at 6:45 PM.
December Movie Screening
Zach has contacted Visual Arts Building about scheduling the event for December 12. Barring further suggestions, the film will be Desk Set (1957), with Katharine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy. We are opening it up to the other student groups to attend, although Sarah Park Dahlen has scheduled her Capstone presentations for that evening so we may start the event later so that students could join afterwards.
We’ll need to see if we can move the popcorn machine to the facility, or if we will have to bring popcorn there. Zach offered to make posters for the event.
January Joint Student Group Bowling Extravaganza
Heather has talked to two different bowling allies: RanHam Bowling, which needs a minimum of 45 guests to rent the entire facility, and Memory Lanes, which has an active bowling league schedule (meaning it might be more difficult to find a date). Molly suggested the bowling alley at the Mall of America.
ALA and SLA have agreed to co-sponsor the event; PLG hasn’t responded. Zach offered to create a survey to send out to the entire MLIS student population this week to gauge interest and projected numbers, and Sara is going to contact other student group leaders.
Possible Community Archives Projects
- Heather toured the Red Wing Pottery Museum, and has been in contact with Michelle Weisen about a possible community partnership project. It’s unclear at this point what she wants a group from St. Kate’s to do, but we can certainly plan to do a tour.
- Molly has been in contact with someone from YWCA about an archival project around one of the camps.
- Red Wing Shoe Museum might also have project work that we could do.
Spring Job Search/Resume Workshop Panel
A tentative date was set for March 27, 2017. Lisa Calahan was mentioned as a possible archivist to approach for the panel, along with bringing in more professionals for resume review and mock job interviews.
- Metro Net: Inside the Library at Downton Abbey with Tim Johnson
- Wednesday, December 14, Andersen Library, Rm 120ABC, from 4:30pm-6:30pm
- Networking opportunity and refreshments
- RSVP requested but not required
Meeting adjourned at 7:15pm by Sara Butterfass.
Next meeting scheduled for December 12 from 7:00pm-7:30pm in the Visual Arts Building before the movie screening event.
- Sara Butterfass, president
- Heather Carroll, vice-president
- David Norris, secretary
- Deb Eschweiler, treasurer
- Zach Jansen, media relations officer
- Kristell Benson, SGO liaison
- Daniel Magner
- Sarah Potvin
- Rose Prullage
- Deb Torres
- Molly Hazelton, faculty advisor