SAA Student Chapter, St. Catherine University
Meeting called to order at 6:18 PM by SAA chapter president Sara Butterfass, followed by officer introductions.
Reading of previous minutes and treasurer’s report
- Approval of minutes from previous meeting on August 8, 2016.
- Treasurer’s report: Update on current funds. The disbursement from SGO will happen in October.
- No update from Kristell Benson on MLIS Student Governance Organization (SGO) business. Their first meeting of the year is on Thursday, September 15.
- Update: Minutes for the first SGO meeting can be found here.
- Deb Torres’ update on SAA’s ARCHIVES*RECORDS 2016 conference in Atlanta, GA:
- Some of the main themes of the conference were current events in the United States along with social justice and the role archivists can take.
- SAA President Dennis Meissner’s address was on cultural competency, which is also a priority at the Minnesota Historical Society, who is helping to guide that process on the national level.
- One session highlighted how student archivists are raising diversity awareness, and facilitating promotion of underrepresented voices and groups in archives, including a representative from the University of Hawai’i. Deb felt that should serve as a call for student archives groups to connect and collaborate more.
- Next year’s conference (ARCHIVES 2017: alike/different) will be in Portland, OR, from July 23-28.
- Heather Carroll’s update on the tour of St. Kate’s Archives:
- Deborah Kloiber provided a history and tour of the archives, while Tanya Cothran led a tour of the Rare Book Room. There are still plenty of treasures left to see, so there will likely be a follow-up tour in the near future.
- Heather has a list of other local archives that we could tour, but is in need of help making phone calls to gather more details, or for additional tour ideas.
WARM Project update
- Work on gathering journal contributor data was put on hold due to a death in the family for one of the founding WARM members, but is resuming this semester with a session on Tuesday, September 20, from 5-7 pm.
- The original plan was to host the digitized content on ContentDM, but the St. Kate’s Archives has offered to host the content on SOPHIA, the institutional repository for St. Catherine University, which will then be harvested into the Digital Public Library of America.
- Heather will be meeting with the current WARM leadership about possible events surrounding this digitization, along with questions and possible issues surrounding copyright.
- The website is live! Virtually all of the content is now up on the site. All meeting minutes except for those from 2013-2014 are up on the site. We will be adding more content soon.
- Members can (and should) provide input and ideas on what additional content should be added, and what features they would like to see.
Archives 101 Panel (October SAA Event)
- In lieu of a meeting on October 10, we will be holding an archives panel in Whitby 101 from 6-8pm.
- Molly will be moderating a panel of archivists:
- Lisa Calahan, Head of Archival Processing, University of Minnesota
- Shelby Edwards, Associate Curator of Manuscripts, Minnesota Historical Society
- Ted Hathaway, Special Collections Manager at Hennepin County Library and president of Twin Cities Archives Round Table (TCART)
- Heather Stecklein, archivist at University of Wisconsin-Stout
- The question of format came up, and one idea was to start with brief introductions and then launch into an hour of questions, leaving fifteen minutes at the end for Q&A.
- Need to come up with a list of questions to ask, such as:
- How did you become an archivist and why?
- What is your current job?
- Send ideas to email@example.com!
Upcoming SAA Events
- Tour in November, possible at the MN Historical Society, date to be decided (preferably a Saturday or Sunday) with a mind to not conflicting with class times or campus events. We also need to determine a cap for number of people who can sign up. Sara will be sending out an email with an interest sign-up.
- End of semester classic film showing party in December.
- #AskAnArchivist Day on October 5th
- Twin Cities Archives Round Table (TCART), 5th Annual MN Archives Symposium
- Monday, November 14th at the Elmer L. Andersen Library at the University of Minnesota
- Theme: Archives in Conversation
Meeting adjourned at 7:03 PM
Sara Butterfass, president
Heather Carroll, vice-president
David Norris, secretary
Deb Eschweiler, treasurer
Zach Jansen, media relations officer
Kristell Benson, SGO liaison
Molly Hazelton, faculty advisor