SAA Student Chapter, St. Catherine University
Meeting called to order at 6:00 PM by SAA chapter president Sara Butterfass.
Updates from Secretary and Treasurer
- Minutes summary from previous meeting: Officer election results, SGO updates about reimbursement policy, WARM journal archiving project, events.
- Treasurer update: We will probably get our disbursement in October, but we have funds to use to move forward.
- Historically Accurate Costume Party, May 14, 2016: Establish a prize for next year for best costume, to be handed off by the winner to the winner on the following year.
- TCART Spring Meeting, June 14, 2016: It took place at the Blake Upper School in Minneapolis. One student did attend. The focus was on smaller archives, funding.
- Women’s Art Resources of Minnesota (WARM) – (Heather C.)
- Project temporarily put on hold after Pat Olsen’s husband died, but Heather is going to meet with her on July 21 to resume talks about moving forward.
- Heather is maintaining project documentation to which the entire SAA group will have access.
- WordPress website
- David has added main pages for the website and added officers as content editors. Need copy for main and sub-pages, in addition to getting a copy of the bylaws.
- August 20th is the goal for having the website live, a week before fall orientation.
- Wish list for the website:
- Archives jobs section.
- Projects section, with write-ups, photos, etc.
- Student highlights.
- SAA report section.
- Summer orientation recap
- We need an orientation kit: buttons, bookmarks, sign-up sheets, etc.
- Orientation this year is on August 27, 2016, from 11am-1pm.
- Archives tours
- Heather has a list of about 20 different places to possibly tour. Some are repeats, but most will have to happen M-F, 9-5.
- We need people to call the locations to get more details about touring. Sara, Kristell, and David volunteered to follow up. Heather will have a script to use for sometime in August and what information we want to gather.
- Possibly scheduling one in the fall and in the spring; the week after mid-terms is another good idea. Looking at a post-orientation tour for new students to sign up for, the week of Labor Day.
- Minnesota Historical Society is one strong possibility.
- General Mills, with Jessica Faucher.
- St. Catherine Archives, Deborah Kloiber.
- Historical tour of the St. Kate’s campus.
- How to market? Which student groups to market to? Some of this will depend on the location, when they’re available, how many individuals they can accommodate.
- Link (non-editing) to spreadsheet to go on WordPress site once it’s finished.
- Heather and Chayse made several phone calls and gathered preliminary and contact details about various companies that we might partner with. One side conversation was about teaming up with another student group to do a fundraising event–ALA, PLG, SGO, etc. Doing an event with TCART could make it a networking opportunity in addition to fundraising.
- Possible companies include RanHam Bowling Center, Punch Pizza, Smashburger. Smashburger would donate $1 for every person that brings in a coupon. Running advertisements on campus television and the St. Kate’s radio station.
- Timeline: Possibly making it a semester kickoff event sometime in September or in January, leaning towards J-Term.
- Fundraising goals: Cover a student’s national membership fee, events.
- Fall Events
- Setting up a calendar of repeating events: tours, events, panels, etc.
- Archives tours, repeat of the resume workshop.
- The Hennepin History Museum reminded us via Twitter that they’re hosting an exhibit on history of local Quatrefoil Library that opens on July 14th. (Location: 2303 3rd Ave S, Minneapolis, MN 55404)
- SAA’s ARCHIVES*RECORDS 2016 conference kicks off in Atlanta, GA on July 31st.
Meeting adjourned at 7:27pm
Next meeting is scheduled for August 8, 2016 at 6pm at Tiffany Sports Lounge.
Sara Butterfass, president
Heather Carroll, vice-president
David Norris, secretary
Deb Eschweiler, treasurer
Zach Jansen, media relations officer
Kristell Benson, SGO liaison