SAA Student Chapter, St. Catherine University
I. Introduction of new members
- Reminder: new students should become members of SAA (National) and returning students should renew membership to SAA so we can maintain our status with SAA (National).
- The last meeting in July was summarized to get everyone up to speed about our upcoming projects. These include a Panel on Digitization, a Walking Tour of Local Queer History, a Community Partnership Program, and a possible Certified Archivist Panel.
- Andrea and Kate discussed the national conference in D.C., which they attended in August and the benefits of going to such a conference (i.e. networking, etc.)
II. Digitization Panel
We’re planning to hold this on October 18th. Possible speakers and contacts were discussed. Should you think of an expert for a panel, check with Andrea or Molly. Please have questions to ask the panelists. Come prepared!
III. Queer History Tour
Stewart is a big deal! His book, Land of 10,000 Loves: A History of Queer Minnesota was published through the University of Minnesota Press. He is going to give a walking tour of LGBT history in Minneapolis, tentatively scheduled for Oct. 12th
IV. Community Partnership Project
- Michelle from the Red Wing Pottery Museum spoke about their archival collection. She has requested our help processing the collection and developing use policies. The collection’s scope is the early 1900s to 1967 and documents the history of the company.
- We’re planning on visiting the museum in Red Wing, possibly in November. Michelle has generously offered to allow the collection to be moved to St Kate’s while we work on it. This will likely be a J-term project.
- Anyone who participates must be willing to sign a confidentiality agreement. Please contact Andrea if you are interested in participating in this project.
Laura’s bookmarks look awesome! She’s going to price out what it would cost to print one or more of the designs.
There is an internship available at the Archdioceses of St. Paul. Please contact Allison Spies if you are interested in this opportunity.
VII: Next meeting is October 18th
Kate would like to revisit the idea of a student archivist role within the group.
Andrea Hoff, president
Stewart Van Cleve, vice-president
Kate McManus, secretary
Cassandra Nelson, treasurer/SGO liaison
Molly Hazelton, faculty advisor