Meeting Minutes – April 26, 2014

SAA Student Chapter, St. Catherine University

I. Announcements

SAA Conference in DC in August: Andrea, Kate, Deb, and Stephanie planning to attend. A small group meeting for attendees will be held in early June.

The chapter officially has an e­mail address: saa@stkate.edu.

II. Tower Archives Project

Stewart described in thrilling detail the Minneapolis City Archives currently housed in the City Hall clock tower. Closed for 15 years, this little-­known but invaluable resource contains irreplaceable materials that shed light on the historical unknowns of Minneapolis, and it needs to become more accessible to the public. The importance of this collection is being highlighted through Augsburg’s Dr. Kirsten Delegard’s Historyapolis Project, and Stewart discussed efforts to get the city to turn over the materials to the care of the Minneapolis Collection, part of Hennepin County Library Special Collections Department.

The majority of members in attendance expressed keen interest in contributing (let the record show that the excitement was palpable), both in petitioning for and assisting with the possible move. Student members graduating this semester can still assist with this project as alumni. More information forthcoming.

III. Event Planning

  • Archives Panel: It was determined that the discussion panel proposed for this spring will be postponed until fall. We intend to prepare the panel over the summer so that it can be held early on next semester.
  • Happy Hour with TCART: Stephanie & Deb proposed Chatterbox as Happy Hour location; Stewart seconded. All in agreement. Molly will coordinate inviting TCART members. The Happy Hour will be held May 17, 2014 around 5:30 p.m. (after the final archival digitization class).
  • Margaret Cross Norton Memorial Day: Stephanie & Deb proposed Chatterbox as Happy Hour location; Stewart seconded. All in agreement. Molly will coordinate inviting TCART members. The Happy Hour will be held May 17, 2014 around 5:30 p.m. (after the final archival digitization class).
    • Also proposed that chapter Happy Hours be named in honor of Sister Margery Smith, St. Kate’s archivist.

In general, it was discussed that we would like to begin planning for events one semester in advance. The chapter will hold one or two meetings over the summer (dates will be chosen at our next meeting on May 17).

IV. Member Recruitment

  1. Mentoring: Andrea met with the student organization office and offered our chapter as a resource to the undergraduate History Club.
  2. More Happy Hours: Stewart proposed a monthly/bi­monthly member happy hour or other casual gathering. Happy Hours after each meeting were proposed, as our meetings have typically been held on Saturdays. This would strengthen the group and encourage new members. Note of caution with regard to undergraduate visitors who might not be permitted to drink.Kate proposed a holiday party or other end­-of­-year bash.
  3. Movie Nights: Also proposed was a movie night – either over the summer for current members or a recruitment movie night in fall at The Pulse. Suggested film: “The Ninth Gate.” Deb mentioned that we may need to request rights for public performance, but SGO can support (and also help provide refreshments).

V. Funding

For those interested in attending archives­related conferences, funding is available through SGO and TCART’s Professional Development Award.

(Side note that members are encouraged to attend SGO meetings to boost LIS presence and get free food.)

Group discussed possibility of holding future fundraising events to sponsor someone to attend the SAA annual conference.

VI. For next meeting ­ 5/17

  1. Identify officers for next year & more specific duties
    • Andrea will send an email for members to think about nominations and encourage membership in national SAA. Note that officers must be members.
    • Office descriptions available on our website at: www2.stkate.edu/saa­studentchapter
    • Elections will be held at our next meeting.
  2. Schedule summer chapter/small group meetings
  3. Identify chapter representatives for fall social hours

In attendance:

Interested in Tower Archives Project:
Molly Hazelton
Deb Torres
Andrea Hoff Yes
Stephanie Rosso Yes
Katie Warner
Kate McManus Yes
Ihar Labacevich Maybe (depends when)
Pati Hibbard Yes
Stewart Van Cleve Yes
Cassandra Nelson Yes
Allison Spies Yes
Laura Hulscher Yes
Advertisements